Get your DIY on with these delicious vegan pot stickers with your friends or family! Practice your folding techniques and enjoy some veggie-stuffed pot stickers with the simple filling of cabbage, carrots, and Asian mix of mushrooms.
- 25 vegan wonton wrappers (see note)
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- Half an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced ginger
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (Asian mix or oyster or shiitake or white button)
- 1 carrot, grated
- A quarter of a cabbage (about 1 cup), shredded
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Water for steaming
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion and white parts of the green onions and fry until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes or until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the carrot, cabbage, green parts of the green onion, salt and pepper and fry, stirring, until the cabbage is soft but not limp – about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir thorough the sesame oil. Allow to cool on the counter or in the fridge.
- Once cool, assemble your potstickers. Place a small teaspoon of the filling in the centre of a wonton wrapper. (If you are using store-bought wrappers, wet one edge with water. If you’re using homemade wrappers, it’s not necessary to wet one edge. Fold the wrapper over the filling and pinch the edges together to seal).
- Place them upright on a plate, being careful not to let them touch or else they will stick together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the potstickers and fry until browned on the bottom – 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of water, cover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Allow to steam until the tops are tender and the water has evaporated – about 2 to 3 minutes. Uncover the pan and flip the potstickers onto their sides to fry. Brown each side.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce and rice vinegar to make a dipping sauce and serve alongside the potstickers.