Have you always wanted to enjoy a thick, creamy chowder without the heavy cream and butter? Here we have an amazing vegan corn chowder recipe - easy to make and full of chunky bits of corn, potato, and bell peppers. Indulge in the richness of the coconut infused soup and serve hot as an appetizer or side-dish before dinner!
- 4 ears corn shucked and steamed
- 2 large red potatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- 5 cloves large garlic minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 large stalks celery chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1-½ teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2/3 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Place ears of corn into a large pot and fill with water. Cover the pot with a lid and place on the stove over high heat. Bring to a full boil and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove corn from the boiling water and place on a cutting board.
- Cut the red potatoes in half and boil until soft or about 10 minutes.
- While the potato is cooking, saute the rest of the vegetables.
- Add the coconut oil to a large pot, along with the other diced potato, chopped onion, garlic, carrots, celery, bell pepper, sea salt, Cajun seasoning, paprika, and cumin. Heat to medium-high and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Use a knife to remove the corn kernels from all of the ears of corn. Place half of the kernels in a blender, along with the cooked potato. Add the coconut milk and water to the blender, and blend until completely smooth. This may take two or three rounds of blending.
- Add the remaining corn kernels to the pot with the sauteed vegetables, and pour the blended corn/potato (chowder) mixture into the pot. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until potato has softened, about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste chowder. Add sea salt and Cajun seasoning as desired. Serve with chopped green onion.