Indulge in this summertime favorite with family and friends on a warm afternoon. This three-bean quinoa salad will definitely have you cherishing each and every bite - the green, garbanzo, and white beans add texture and flavor to this simple dish. Beans are rich in fiber and calcium, and are extremely versatile, which make them perfect for any salad.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed and snapped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 can / 1.5 cups cooked garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can / 1.5 cups cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chopped seedless cucumber
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil (optional, omit for oil-free version)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until for 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, blanch the green beans by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until tender, but still crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain the green beans and place in a bowl of ice water. Drain well and pat dry.
- Add the green beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, cucumbers, red onion, and olives to the bowl with the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and gently stir until salad is coated with dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh sliced or chopped basil.
- Serve and enjoy!