Get the same satisfaction as eating your traditional mac n’ cheese from this recipe without the cheese or heavy oil! It’s made with wholesome ingredients and will leave you feeling light and happy. Make your comfort food healthy to eat and share with friends and family! This recipe serves 8.
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 16 oz. brown rice or other whole-grain pasta (macaroni, spirals, shells)
- 1 cup of your favorite nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts, macadamia, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons tamari, shoyu or soy sauce
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Dash of black pepper (to taste)
- Paprika, for garnish
- Boil 2 cups of water in a medium-sized pot with steamer basket. If you don’t have a steamer basket, don’t worry, you may omit it.
- Place chopped squash in pot and cook until tender, adding a dash of sea salt before covering with the lid.
- In another large pot, boil pasta according to package instructions.
- Blend ½ cup water with 1 cup nuts, until smooth.
- Add cooked squash, tahini, lemon juice, tamari, nutritional yeast, turmeric and black pepper in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix sauce with pasta and bake in a casserole dish at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with paprika for garnish and serve!