Here's a great way to add more dark leafy greens to your diet. Quinoa is one of the most protein-rich ingredients we can eat, containing twice as much fiber as any other grain… in fact, quinoa is not actually a grain at all, it's a seed! Kale is a great addition to this dish, high in calcium, antioxidants and phytonutrients, dark leafy greens are known for their anti-inflammatory benefits. Be creative and add any other toppings to this salad that you happen to have or enjoy!
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 cups mushroom broth (use dried, soaked shiitake mushrooms)
- 4 packed cups kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Juice of 3 large or 4 small lemons
- ½ cup chopped nuts or seeds of choice (e.g. walnuts, almonds, or sesame seeds)
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds (or chopped seasonal fruit)
- Cook the quinoa in the mushroom broth (can use rice cooker or stove).
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, covered, until all of the water is absorbed.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with lemon juice until it reaches the softness that you like, usually about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked quinoa, then stir in most of the nuts, add the avocado in gently, then most of the pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle your remaining nuts and pomegranate seeds on top.