This amazing combination of avocado and black bean quesadillas is the perfect meal on any spring day. Avocados are notorious for their smooth, creamy texture and are jam packed with fiber, over 20 vitamins, and reducing cardiovascular disease characteristics. Black beans are also high in nutrient content, affordable, and easily cooked to get your daily dose of antioxidants. Don’t hold back on servings!
- ½ onion, sliced
- ½ bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup black beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 4 medium soft flour tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled, halved, seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1 cup light Mexican, Cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Oil or cooking spray for grilling
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, saute onion and bell pepper in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the black beans and taco seasoning. Cook for another minute. Transfer mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly mash the avocados with a fork.
- Stir in cilantro and juice of ½ lime, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread a quarter of mashed avocado onto half of a tortilla.
- Top with bean mixture and ¼th cup of cheese. Fold the tortilla closed over the veggies.
- Repeat until all tortillas are filled and all fillings are used.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until the outside is crispy and cheese has fully melted.
- Serve with your favorite salsa or sour-cream, Enjoy!