This recipe is a healthier and lighter alternative to lasagna that incorporates slices of zucchini instead of pasta. Not only does using zucchini assist with weight loss, its phytonutrients may also improve eye health, strengthen teeth and bones, and lower cholesterol.
- 4-5 medium zucchini squash
- 5 cups of tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed or 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 block of medium to firm tofu
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons oregano, divided
- Garlic white sauce (below)
Garlic White Sauce:
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Dash of onion powder
- Dash of black pepper
Garlic White Sauce
- Blend in a high speed blender until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté 1 chopped onion in a medium skillet and add crumbled tofu. Cook 10-15 minutes.
- Combine tofu, spinach, and 1 tablespoon oregano.
- Slice zucchini into vertical slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cover bottom of 9x13 pan with 1 1/4 cup of white sauce.
- Layer slices of zucchini on top of sauce.
- Cover with half of the tofu scramble.
- Top with a layer of sauce, then zucchini and final layer of sauce.
- Add sliced tomatoes to the top and sprinkle with oregano and sea salt.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving