These flavor-packed vegan lentil meatballs smothered in creamy cashew gravy are perfect for potlucks and easily prepared! Lentils are an amazing source of molybdenum, fiber, phosphorus, and vitamin B6. Add the meatballs to the gravy a little before serving them, just to make sure they are sturdy and intact.
For Lentil Meatballs:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, (brown or green), sorted and washed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oat flour* (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Bragg's liquid aminos, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For Cashew Gravy:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 1 hour then drained
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos, tamari sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch cayenne pepper
TO PREPARE LENTIL MEATBALLS
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, parsley, paprika, and lentils to coat.
- Add water and bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cover pot. Cook until lentils are tender and water has evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer lentil mixture into a large bowl,. Stir in walnuts, flax seeds, yeast flakes, Bragg's liquid aminos and sea salt. Using a fork mash mixture until sticking together.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Scoop mixture, using about a tablespoon. Form into balls and placing them on prepared sheets until mixture is all gone.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy on the outside.
TO PREPARE THE CASHEW GRAVY
- Combine cashews, water, yeast flakes, onion powder, garlic, arrowroot, Bragg's liquid aminos in a high speed blender and process until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a saucepan and add thyme, Italian seasonings, paprika. Heat on medium high, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until sauce thickens.
- Place meat balls in serving plate. Pour gravy on top and garnish with chopped parsley.