Our recipe for lentil-coconut curry is great for any season, full of powerhouse nutrients from loads of turmeric, vegetables, and lentils. Filling up on high-fiber, high-nutrient food can reduce the risk of many chronic diseases, making this a deliciously healing dish that is so simple to prepare!
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 1 cup of lentils (green or french)
- 2 teaspoons of olive, sesame, avocado, coconut oil (optional, or use water sauté)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, diced thinly
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1 cup of shredded unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cilantro, chopped finely, stems separated from leaves
- Add lentils to 3 cups of boiling water in a medium saucepan and simmer lentils until they are almost tender (around 25 minutes). Do not overcook as they will cook later in the sauce. Turn off flame.
- Heat up oil (or ¼ cup water/broth if oil-free) in a large skillet and add the onions, carrots, celery, a pinch of sea salt, and spices. Sauté until slightly cooked. Add finely sliced cilantro stems, and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the coconut, peas, and lentils.
- Simmer with lid on for 10 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves and serve immediately!