This light and fluffy lemon poppy seed breakfast cake is insanely satisfying and filling for the first meal of the day. Full of slow-releasing carbohydrates, healthy fats, and protein, this gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free recipe will keep you full between breakfast and lunch. Indulge in a dessert-like breakfast and share the recipe with friends!
- 2 cups gluten free rolled oats, ground into a flour
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (use stevia or a sugar free baking blend to keep sugar free)
- 1 T baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3/4 cup + 2 T dairy free milk
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T lemon zest
- 1 flax egg (can sub for 1 large egg if not vegan)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 T nut butter of choice, melted (I used smooth almond butter)
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder (see SHOP page on the menu bar)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Dairy free milk to form batter
Coconut butter frosting:
- 4-6 T coconut butter, melted
- 2 T granulated sweetener of choice
- Dairy free milk to thin out
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the lemon zest and poppy seeds and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract and egg/flax egg. Pour into the dry mixture. Add the melted nut butter (and honey and applesauce for paleo option) and mix very well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan or baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes, depending on your oven (Paleo option can take up to 50 minutes!), or until golden brown on top and a toothpick comes on clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving or frosting, if desired.
To make the frostings
- Combine all the ingredients and using a tablespoon, add dairy free milk until a thick, firm batter is formed.
- For the cream cheese one, allow to sit at room temperature until it softens. Mix with granulated sweetener and cinnamon.