Happy Flag Day and Happy Father’s Day from all of us at the UC San Diego Center for Integrative Medicine! Unless you’re in the Army, you may not usually celebrate Flag Day… but why not celebrate!? And this weekend is Father’s day, so that’s another great reason to enjoy this delightfully healthy treat. This tangy lemon cake is dairy-free, but tastes like melt-in-your-mouth cheesecake. Topped with fresh strawberries and blueberries, this cake is full of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- 1 cup raw nut of choice (cashews, macadamia nuts, blanched almonds, or walnuts)
- 1 cup coconut cream (the hardened portion at the top of full fat coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot or kudzu
- 2 large lemons, juiced and zested
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup, to taste
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- 2 cups toasted nuts of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4-5 dates, pits removed
- Add raw nuts to a mixing bowl and cover with boiling hot water for 1 hour, then drain thoroughly.
- In the meantime, line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Add oats, toasted nuts, sea salt, and dates to a high speed blender or food processor, and mix on high until a dough-like consistency is formed.
- Squeeze the mixture between two fingers and see if it sticks together like dough, instead of it crumbling. If too dry, blend a bit more.
- Transfer mixture to parchment-lined baking sheet or pyrex baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Then place parchment paper on top and use a flat-bottomed object or your fingers to press crust down firmly until it’s evenly distributed and well-packed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toast crust in oven for 10 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Once cashews are soaked and drained, add to a high speed blender with coconut cream, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, and maple syrup.
- Mix on high until very creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust flavor as needed. It should be very lemony, and not overly sweet.
- Pour filling over the nut crust and spread into an even layer. Tap on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the edges look very slightly dry and the center appears soft, but not liquid-y.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to refrigerator to let cool completely (uncovered) - at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- To serve, slice fresh strawberries and place blueberries and strawberries in a design over the top. Serve and enjoy!