It’s the season for picnics and family gatherings. Enjoy the ultimate plant-based burger, full of flavor, and packed with veggies.
- 2 flax “eggs” (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 3 cans chickpeas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond meal
- ¾ cup favorite hot sauce (optional, omit if sensitive to nightshade vegetables)
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste- if needed
- Sprouted wheat or gluten-free buns, or try a lettuce wrap instead!
- Toppings (optional): Lettuce, Tomato, Red onion, Grilled Onions, Avocado
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to make “flax eggs.”
- Put raw carrots, celery and cauliflower in a food processor until chunky, but not pasty. Add chickpeas and pulse more until chunky.
- Pour into a large bowl. Slice/chop green onions and add to the bowl. Next add the gluten free oats, almond meal, flax eggs and hot sauce and mix well. Add salt and pepper if needed. Mix well with your hands to get everything mashed together well into a firm, but slightly, wet dough.
- Shape into burgers and let sit for 15 - 30 minutes (if possible, which will help with consistency / firmness).
- Shape into 4 inch patties, then bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Allow the burgers to cool a bit to further help set them firm up, then serve on buns or lettuce wraps, with toppings of choice.