Types of Massage and Bodywork
Below are descriptions of the types of massages that our therapists may suggest for you:
- Acupressure – “acupuncture without the needles,” this therapy stimulates meridian points along the body with pressure, incorporates various stretching techniques, and encourages breathing to reduce pain, eliminate fatigue, promote digestion, improve circulation, and create emotional balance.
- Jin Shin Jyutsu (JSJ) – a gentle form of acupressure therapy that uses light finger pressure over specific points on the body while fully clothed. JSJ restores the flow of energy, which may be blocked due to illness or pain. JSJ is beneficial for a variety of conditions including acute and chronic pain, increasing immune function, eliminating fatigue, reducing stress, and improving digestion. Self-help techniques taught. More about JSJ
- Swedish Massage - the most common type of massage in the U.S., works out muscle tension and adhesions, and opens the lymphatic system to improve metabolism, promote the removal of bodily toxins and waste, and encourages a healthy immune system.
- Shiatsu – Japanese “ finger pressure” that stimulates points along the body with deep pressure to maintain physical and mental well-being, treat disease, and alleviate discomfort. Shiatsu reduces pain and fatigue, promotes digestion, and over-all circulation.
- Tui Na – a 2,000 year old Chinese acupressure technique that uses rhythmic compression and various stretching techniques along points and channels of the body to establish harmonious flow of energy. Tui Na reduces pain, and enhances physical vitality and emotional well-being.
Appointments are available at the Family Medicine clinics (La Jolla, Scripps Ranch, Hillcrest, and Downtown), and at the Perlman Women’s Health Clinic. Call toll-free to schedule an appointment. Sessions are paid at the time of appointment and are not usually covered by insurance. However, Flex Spending Accounts (FSA) and Health Savings Accounts (HSA) may be used. Massage visits do not require a referral from your doctor. Price: as listed below. No tipping.
Massage Fee Schedule:
|# of Treatments||Price||Price/Treatment|
|4 treatment package||$300||$75|
|8 treatment package||$520||$65|