Event Start Date
Event End Date
Workshop II: Foundations of Teaching Self-Compassion to Teens
Lorraine M. Hobbs, M.A. and Lisa Shetler
This training will be offered online
Registration Opening Soon
There is a significant demonstrated interest among professionals around the globe in the topic and practice of integrating both mindfulness and self-compassion into various disciplines. As the evidence for mindfulness and self-compassion as viable interventions for youth and families grows, so does the interest in professional training. UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness is a leader in the field and is uniquely positioned to be THE training and certifying body for these professionals. Learn more about the workshop.
Objectives for Workshop II:
- Participants will use the skills learnt through their personal practice to create psychological safety for teens.
- Participants will demonstrate how to work with teens' resistance and motivate themselves with kindness.
- Participants will be able to discuss why self-compassion is more stable than self-esteem.
- Participants will be able to identify backdraft and/or trauma in teens.
- Participants will be able to utilize the skills learnt to teach teens self regulation, self awareness and self compassion.
- Participants will design an appropriate, brief intervention based on the teachings of mindfulness and self-compassion for teens they work with.
Pre-Requisites (Participant Guidelines) for Workshop II:
- Attendees will have prior experience in working with pre-teens, teens and families through one of the following fields: Psychology/Counseling/Psychotherapy/Family Therapy Teaching/Education Medicine/Nursing/Psychiatry/Pediatrics Juvenile Justice/Rehabilitation Sports Coaching/Mentoring
- Attendees will have completed either an 8-week or 5-day MSC course OR the 3-day foundation course in Mindfulness & Self-Compassion (Workshop I).
9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3
|$200 “Early-Bird Discount” if you register and pay in full on or before July 12, 2023||Early-Bird Rate On or Before July 12, 2023||On or After July 13, 2023|
|UC San Diego Faculty / Staff||$1000||$1200|