Cell-free mitochondrial DNA as potential biomarkers for astronauts’ health. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2021 Nov 2;10(21):e022055. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.121.022055.
Chemical Fingerprinting, Antioxidant, and Anti-Inflammatory Potential of Hydroethanolic Extract of Trigonella foenum-graecum. Antioxidants. 2022, 11, 364. https://doi.org/10.3390/antiox11020364
Digestive Enzyme Activity and Protein Degradation in Plasma of Heart Failure Patients. Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering. Cell Mol Bioeng. 2021 Aug 13;14(6):583-596. doi: 10.1007/s12195-021-00693-w.
Emerging role of exosomal long non-coding RNAs in spaceflight-associated risks in astronauts. Frontiers in Genetics. 2022 Jan 17;12:812188. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.812188.
Global Correlations between Chronic Inflammation & Violent Incidents: Potential behavioral consequences of inflammatory illnesses across socio-demographic levels, International Journal of General Medicine, in press.
Singing Bowl Sound bath: Mood and Spiritual Well-Being Interrelationships. Religions, Special Issue, Spirituality and Psychosocial Well-Being. In press.
Global Correlations between Chronic Inflammation & Violent Incidents: Potential behavioral consequences of inflammatory illnesses across socio-developmental levels. International Journal of General Medicine, in press.
The impact of religion and social support on self-reported happiness. Religions and Health/Psychology/Social Sciences. Religions, Special Issue, Spirituality and Psychosocial Well-Being. In press.
Systemic Inflammation and Cognitive Decrements in Patients with Stage B Heart Failure. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2022 Feb-Mar 01;84(2):133-140. doi: 10.1097/PSY.0000000000001033
Examining the effectiveness of body massage on physical status of premature neonates and their mothers’ psychological status. EARLY CHILD DEVELOPMENT AND CARE. https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2021.2006194.
Community Metabolic Interactions, Vitamin Production and Prebiotic Potential of Medicinal Herbs used for Immunomodulation. Frontiers in Genetics: Special Issue in Plant Role in Human Gene Expression. Front Genet. 2021 Feb 3;12:584197. doi: 10.3389/fgene.2021.584197.
Current Approaches to Yoga in United States Medical Schools: Scoping Review of the Literature. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, in press.
Cross-cultural analysis of Spiritual Bypass: A comparison between Spain and Honduras. Frontiers in Psychology, Cultural Psychology section. 2021 May 6;12:658739. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2021.658739.
Implications for systemic approaches to COVID-19: effect sizes of Remdesivir, Tocilizumab, melatonin, vitamin D3, and meditation" has been accepted for publication in Journal of Inflammation Research, in press.
The Promise of Applying Systems Theory and Integrative Health Approaches to the Current Psychosocial Stress Pandemic. Gexin, 5:180: 2-11, 2021.
Religiosity and suicide: a large-scale international and individual analysis considering the effects of different religious beliefs. Journal of Religion and Health 60:2503-2526, 2021.
Assessing the Accuracy of Medical Intuition: A Subjective and Exploratory Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 26(12):1130-1135. doi: 10.1089/acm.2020.0244.
Spirituality and employment in recovery from severe and persistent mental disorders and psychological well-being. Healthcare, 2021 Jan 7;9(1):57. doi: 10.3390/healthcare9010057.
Modulatory Effects of Triphala and Manjistha Dietary Supplementation on Human Gut Microbiota: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, Nov;26(11):1015-1024. doi: 10.1089/acm.2020.0148.
Religiosity and spirituality in the recovery stages from persistent mental disorders. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2020. Nov 23. doi: 10.1097/NMD.0000000000001271.
Changes in Continuous, Long-Term Heart Rate Variability and Individualized Physiologic Responses to Wellness and Vacation Interventions Using a Wearable Sensor. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine, 31;7:120. doi: 10.3389/fcvm.2020.00120.
Nondual Awareness and the Whole Person. Global Advances in Health and Medicine. 9:1-4, 2020.
Examining the mediating role of perceived stress in the relationship between mindfulness and quality of life and mental health: testing the mindfulness stress buffering model. Anxiety, Stress and Coping. 33:3, 2020
MEDITATION AND YOGA PRACTICES AS POTENTIAL ADJUNCTIVE TREATMENT OF SARS-CoV-2 INFECTION AND COVID-19: A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF KEY SUBJECTS. Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Jul;26(7):547-556. doi: 10.1089/acm.2020.0177.
Greater well-being in more physically active cancer patients who are enrolled in supportive care services. Integrative Cancer Therapies Volume 19: 1–17, 2020.
A Structural Equation Model of Gratitude, Self-Efficacy, and Medication Adherence in Stage B Heart Failure Patients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 2020 Nov/Dec;35(6):E18-E24. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000721.
Effects of Caloric Intake and Aerobic Activity in Individuals with Prehypertension and Hypertension on Levels of Inflammatory, Adhesion and Prothrombotic Biomarkers – Secondary Analysis of a Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2020, 28;9(3):655. doi: 10.3390/jcm9030655.
Workshop on Reproducibility in Research. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, in press.
Is belonging to a religious organization enough? Differing effects of religious organization versus spirituality on behavioral and psychological variables in heart failure patients. Healthcare 2020, 8(2), 129; 16 pages, 8(2):129. doi: 10.3390/healthcare8020129.
Glyphosate Excretion is Associated With Steatohepatitis and Advanced Liver Fibrosis in Patients With Fatty Liver Disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Apr 4. pii: S1542-3565(19)30361-1, 2019.
A Randomized Study Examining the Effects of Mild-to-Moderate Group Exercises on Cardiovascular, Physical, and Psychological Well-Being in Patients With Heart Failure. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2019 Nov;39(6):403-408.
The Relationship between Dispositional Gratitude and Quality of life: The Mediating Role of Perceived Stress and Mental Health. Personality and Individual Differences. 141:40-46, 2019.
Effects of a Consciousness-based Approach to Wellbeing on Participants in Health and Wellness Courses. Global Advances in Health and Medicine. Apr 29;8:2164956119843814, 2019.
16S rRNA Gene Profiling and Genome Reconstruction Reveal Community Metabolic Interactions and Prebiotic Potential of Medicinal Herbs Used in Neurodegenerative Disease and as Nootropics. PLOS ONE, 2019 Mar 19;14(3):e0213869.
Paul J. Mills, Pam R. Taub, Ottar Lunde, Meredith A. Pung, Kathleen Wilson, Christopher Pruitt, Depressive Symptoms in Asymptomatic Stage B Heart Failure with Type II Diabetic Mellitus. Clinical Cardiology. Jun;42(6):637-643, 2019.
- Prebiotic Potential of Culinary Spices Used to Support Digestion and Bioabsorption Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2019
- Psychosocial Effects of a Holistic Ayurvedic Approach to Well-being in Health and Wellness Courses Global Advances in Health and Medicine, 2019
- Elevated Resting and Postprandial Digestive Proteolytic Activity in Peripheral Blood of Individuals With Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus, With Uncontrolled Cleavage of Insulin Receptors Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2019
- Depressive Symptoms in Asymptomatic Stage B Heart Failure with Type II Diabetic Mellitus Clinical Investigations, 2018
- 16S rRNA Gene Profiling and Genome Reconstruction Reveal Community Metabolic Interactions and Prebiotic Potential of Medicinal Herbs used in Neurodegenerative Disease and as Nootropics PLOS One, 2019
- Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Massage Therapists: An Exploratory Study Health, 2018
- Future directions in meditation research: Recommendations for expanding the field of contemplative science PLOS One, 2018
- The Effects of Grounding (Earthing) on Bodyworkers' Pain and Overall Quality of Life: A Randomized Trail Explore, 2018
- Guided Imagery Improves Mood, Fatigue, and Quality of Life in Individuals With Multiple Sclerosis: An xploratory Efficacy Trial of Healing Light Guided Imagery Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine, 2018
- Neuroimmune Mechanisms of Depression in Adults with Heart Failure Psychoneuroimmunology, 2018
- Non-trauma-focused Meditation versus Exposure Therapy in Veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: A Randomised Controlled Trial The Lancet, 2018
- Effect of Meditation on Emotional Intelligence and Perceived Stress in the Workplace: A Randomized Controlled Study The Permanente Journal, 2018
- Prebiotic Potential of Herbal Medicines Used in Digestive Health and Disease The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine, 2018
- Relationships among classifications of ayurvedic medicine diagnostics for imbalances (vikruti) and western measures of psychological states: An exploratory study Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine, 2018
- Effects of Turmeric and Curcumin Dietary Supplementation on Human Gut Microbiota: A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine, 2018
- Inpatients’ Preferences, Beliefs, and Stated Willingness to Pay for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatments The Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine, 2017
- Excretion of the Herbicide Glyphosate in Older Adults Between 1993 and 2016 Journal of the American Medical Association, 2017
- Advancing Research on Traditional Whole Systems Medicine Approaches Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2017
- Effects of Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya, a Multicomponent Breath-Based Yogic Practice (Yoga Pranayama), on Perceived Stress and General Well-Being Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2017
- Change in Sense of Nondual Awareness and Spiritual Awakening in Response to a Multidimensional Well-Being Program Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2017
- Yoga and Chronic Illness Chronic Illness, Spirituality, and Healing
- Yoga, Meditation and Mind-Body Health: Increased BDNF, Cortisol Awakening Response, and Altered Inflammatory Marker Expression after a 3-Month Yoga and Meditation Retreat, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 2017
- Epigenetic Mechanisms of Integrative Medicine Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2017
- Effects of Singing Bowl Sound Meditation on Mood, Tension, and Well-being: An Observational Study, Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 2017
- The embodied mind: A review on functional genomic and neurological correlates of mind-body therapies Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 2016
- The Self-Directed Biological Transformation Initiative and Well-Being Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2016
- Identification of Altered Metabolomic Profiles Following a Panchakarma-based Ayurvedic Intervention in Healthy Subjects: The Self-Directed Biological Transformation Initiative (SBTI) Scientific Reports, 2016
- Hospitalized Patients’ Preferences, Beliefs, and Stated Willingness to Pay for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Treatments Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2016
- Multiplexing and Beyond in Biobehavioral Research Psychosomatic Medicine, 2016
- An Overview of Yoga Research for Health and Well-Being Yoga & Physical Therapy, 2015
- A pilot randomized study of a gratitude journaling intervention on HRV and inflammatory biomarkers in Stage B heart failure patients Psychosomatic Medicine, 2016
- A Grateful Heart May Be a Healthier Heart Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 2015
- The Role of Gratitude in Spiritual Well-being in Asymptomatic Heart Failure Patients Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 2015
- Biology of Positive Psychiatry Positive Psychiatry: A Clinical Handbook, DV. Jeste and BW Palmer (Eds), 2015
- Depressive symptoms and spiritual wellbeing in heart failure patients Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2015
- Design and rationale of a comparative effectiveness trial evaluating transcendental meditation against established therapies for PTSD Contemporary Clinical Trials, 2014
- Yoga and Chronic Illness Chronic Illness and Spirituality: Diverse Disciplinary, Religious, and Cultural Perspectives, Michael Stoltzfuy (Ed), Palgrave MacMillan Press, 2013
- A pilot study exploring the effects of a 12-week t'ai chi intervention on somatic symptoms of depression in patients with heart failure Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012
- Effects of yoga interventions on fatigue in cancer patients and survivors: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials Explore, 2013
- Trait mindfulness is associated with blood pressure and interleukin-6: exploring interactions among subscales of the Five Facet Mindfulness Questionnaire to better understand relationships between mindfulness and health Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2015
- Systems modeling in integrative oncology Integrative Oncology, 2012
- Biofield therapies and psychoneuroimmunology Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2010
- Complementary medicine for fatigue and cortisol variability in breast cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trial Cancer, 2012
- Biofield therapies: helpful or full of hype? A best evidence synthesis International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2010
- Biophoton detection and low-intensity light therapy: a potential clinical partnership PhotoMedicine and Laser Therapy, 2010
Selected Media Coverage
Fox News. UCSD study finds link between Roundup and liver disease.https://fox5sandiego.com/2019/05/14/ucsd-study-finds-link-between-roundup-and-liver-disease/
- New Study Links Roundup Weed Killer to Liver Damage, UPI NEWS
- Roundup Now Linked to Liver Disease, American Legal News
- Glyphosate Residues Higher in People with Chronic Liver Disease, Biosafety Information Centre
- Study: Roundup Linked to Human Liver Damage, WebMD
- UCSD Study Finds Link Between Roundup Herbicide and Liver Disease, KUSI News
- Local Researchers Document Possible Link Between Fast-food Consumption and Type 2 Diabetes, Del Mar Times
- Meditation Reduces Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms, Psychology Today
- Transcendental Meditation May Offer PTSD Relief for Veterans, Integrative Practitioner
- Transcendental Meditation May Reduce PTSD symptoms, Medication Use in Active-Duty Personnel, Science News
- DOD Sponsored Research Shows Meditation Can Help People With PTSD, Tech Times
- We May Be Consuming More Glyphosate Than Ever Before, Consumer Reports
- A Weed Killer Is Increasingly Showing Up in People's Bodies, Time
- Analysis: Glyphosate exposure trends demand a public health driven response, Environmental Health News
- Medical Journals: Monsanto Glyphosate in Pee, Bad for Health, NRDC
- From Brussels to Arkansas, a Tough Week for Monsanto, New York Times
- Glyphosate levels skyrocket in older Americans,San Diego Union Tribune
- JAMA Report: Exposure to GMO-Associated Glyphosate, a Likely Carcinogen, up 500 Percent, Huffington Post
- Exposure to Glyphosphate on the Rise in the U.SMedPage Today
- Gratitude helps the hearts of people at risk, Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley
- Study: Gratitude is a healthy attitude, American Heart Association
- Spirituality Helps Patients With Heart Failure Fare Better, Everyday Health
- Six-day clinical trial finds integrative medicine program alters blood serum, Science Daily
- Gratitude Is Good For The Soul And Helps The Heart, Too, National Public Radio
- Be thankful: Science says gratitude is good for your health, The Today Show
- Science of Gratitude Radio Special,Public Radio International
- Why gratitude could be good for your health, Maclean's
- A Hidden Solution to America's Health-Care Crisis, Huffington Post
- A Grateful Heart is a Healthier Heart, American Psychological Association
- What science says about the health benefits of yoga, Dailyo
- A Grateful Heart May Be a Healthy Heart, US News and World Report
- Gratitude Makes Your Heart Happy: The Body Lowers Inflammation Markers, Science World Report
- Feeling grateful may improve health for heart failure patients, Reuters News
- Gratitude Boosts Heart Health: Study, NewsMax Health
- A Heart-Healthy Diet Of Gratitude: Focusing On Positive Aspects Of Life Improves Well-Being,Medical Daily
- Could Saying 'Thank You' Help Protect Against Heart Disease?Huffington Post
- Feeling Gratitude is Heart Healthy, Linkedin